Originated from the Algonquian Indian word "Millioke" which means "the good land" the Tribe played its first of 3 "home games" at Miller Park in Milwaukee, WI due to the impending doom in Cleveland. And by impending doom I mean the weather not the Browns upcoming draft.
The Tribe managed to hang on for a 7-6 win to improve to 3-1 overall. C. C. looked a little shaky due to the long layoff but pitched out of every jam he got himself into. Solid hitting, good defense (minus Jhonny Perlata going stupid) and even despite the best efforts of Roberto Hernandez and Joe Borowski it was a nice way to kick-off the series.
Dr. Poove's 3 Good / 3 Bad
1. Andy Marte - Showed some pop in his bat and the guy just gets it done on D. He does look lost from time to time at bat but so did Jim Thome and Manny "Scum" Ramirez when they first came up to the bigs. If the D stays solid and he steadily improves at the plate throughout the year its a win.
2. Kelly Shoppach - The 2-run jack to start to the scoring, great back-up on the botched play at first on the Howie Kendrick squib and just a solidly called game overall (as he ALWAYS does). And then throwing out an attempted steal for the final out of the game. Could this guy be our catcher of the future with the Vic, Pronk and Garko trilogy at first? When a guy gets hurt this is what you want his back-up to do.
3. Base running - Sizemore with 3 steals, Barfield scoring from first TWICE, it's amazing how a little speed makes a difference. The Indians were aggressive but not stupid. You never saw this last year.
1. Casey Blake - I know he hit a home run but why is he hitting 4th? Listen, we need Casey Blake. He's a great veteran, jack-of-all-trades player who is team first and a good clubhouse leader. But history shows he is an awful hitter with men on base or in scoring position. He should NOT hit higher than 7th EVER.
2. Jhonny Peralta - I know it was one play and you have looked very focus in the first three games but Kelly Shoppach hit you RIGHT IN THE F'N GLOVE on the botched play at first on Howie Kendrick. He was out by over 10 feet and you just didn't pay attention. Ugh...
3a. Bullpen - Roberto and Borowski are looking shaky at best. Maybe we need to bring some of these young arms up. They can't be any worse than this. I know this is only 4 games but I've gotten sick in 3 of the 4.
3b. Vlad Guerrero - I don't often give it to an opposing player but tyring to throw Travis Hafner out at first from RF was little league. You're a perennial MVP candidate you should know better.
SPECIAL KUDOS TO THE CITY OF MILWAUKEE. ALMOST 20,000 FANS FOR A GAME THAT WAS JUST SCHEDULED YESTERDAY! SEEING SLIDER COME DOWN THE BERNIE BREWER BEER SLIDE WAS PRICELESS. THE ITALIAN SAUSAGE TOOK HOME THE 7TH INNING SAUSAGE RACE WHEN THE CHORIZO'S SOMBRERO CREATED A SEVERE DRAG EFFECT IN THE HOMESTRETCH AND COST HIM THE WIN.
Next up: Joe Saunders (0-0, 4.76) versus Jake Westbrook (0-0, 12.60) at 7:05 EST at Miller Park in Milwaukee, WI.