Fausto Carmona looked more like the closer from hell that the potential ace that many have pegged him to be in Friday's 6 to 4 loss to the rival White Sox. With two homers over the left field wall and a consistent barrage of pitches in the dirt (including 2 wild pitches) Fausto did not look comfortable in any way shape or form in the 4 1/3 innings he managed to last. Juan Uribe looked like Barry Bonds with a deep SF in the 2nd and a monster jack in the 4th. The Tribe has plenty of opportunities as well with a runner on on 2nd with 1 out in the 1st inning, runners on second and third with 1 out in the 2nd inning, the bases loaded with 1 out in the 4th and runners on 1st and 3rd in the 7th and manged to plate zero, yes zero, runs. The inconsistencies that plagued the Tribe form Day One last year seems to be rearing their ugly head once again.
Dr. Poove's Three Good & Three Bad
1. Fernando Cabrera - Stated a little shaky to the first two batters he faced but lights out from that moment forward. More Fernando equals less Roberto. Me gusta. 2 2/3 innings 5 Ks!
2. Ryan Garko - 4 for 5. Looking more comfortable at first now that he knows he's on the club. Some nice digs on some low throws for Peralta.
3. Jason Davis - Two scoreless innings. I step for JD. Now if only he could pitch with any sort of pressure on. Amazing how skittish he gets when someone gets on in a bad spot.
1. Situational (clutch) hitting - For a team that finished 2nd in MLB in runs scored last year to have so many innings with so many runners on base and not to score any of them is ridiculous and embarrassing. Not even a good defensive play or a bad bounce to blame, just piss poor execution.
2. Defense - Another error for Jhonny P. That's 9 total for the Tribe... to lead all of MLB with Toronto.
3. Fausto - See my comments above. Looked amazing in the Grapefruit League but horrible today. Could be a combination of the long layoff and the cold weather. Or it could be a bad omen.
Next up for the Indians, Paul Byrd (NR) versus John Danks (0-1, 4.50) at 1:05 PM EST tomorrow.